(Part 3 of 3)
It is important to maintain regular appointments with your family dentist. As we age, we face additional challenges to our dental health.
Oral Cancer exams are important
- This screening includes examination of the head and neck as well as inside of your mouth.
- Those who drink alcohol, use tobacco, or have HPV are at increased risk for oral cancer.
Cavities are not just for kids.
Adults get carries (cavities) and these must be addressed before they cause other issues. It may surprise you to know that untreated dental issues can lead to heart disease.
Certain factors can exacerbate issues with dental health. These factors include, but are not limited to:
- Gum disease
While these health conditions can contribute to the deterioration of the teeth, damage can be minimized by addressing dental health in the most effective manner.
Your lifestyle choices can impact your dental health as you age.
- Stress management is helpful in preserving your teeth. Grinding teeth damages them.
- Chewing Tobacco in particular increases your risk of oral cancer significantly.
- Healthy eating — lots of Calcium and Vitamin C, ample protein and fiber are important for strong teeth.
- Reduce sugar intake! If you do eat sugar, at the very least, rinse the mouth with water immediately after. “Hidden sugar,” like crackers that stick in the crevices of your teeth contribute to cavity formation. Be aware of the impact of the choices you make.
Distinctive Dentistry is located in Fife, WA. We have easy access from the freeway and plenty of free parking. We serve patients from throughout the greater Tacoma area, including Gig Harbor, Federal Way and Puyallup. Dr. Keith Phillips has over 25 years’ experience in general family dentistry, dental implants, sedation dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. He trains other professionals in the field of prosthodontics. Dr Phillips is also adept at handling a road bike which is unrelated to dentistry but we still think it’s pretty cool.