Your family dentist has a treatment that is highly effective in preventing cavities: dental sealants. Sealants are a simple, successful and cost-effective measure your dentist can take to prevent cavities from forming in your teeth.
What are they?
Dental sealants are a thin plastic film that your family dentist paints on the chewing surface of the teeth — particularly on the molars. As the sealant solution dries, it hardens and bonds to the surface of the tooth. This acts as a barrier in the narrow crevices and pits in the chewing surfaces of the teeth to keep out bacteria and food particles which are very difficult to remove from these areas, and thus where cavities are most likely to form.
Why should a person get dental sealants?
- Dental sealants are safe, minimally invasive and are effective at preventing cavities.
- Sealants are more cost effective than having to fill cavities, do root canals, or almost any other dental procedure.
- Dental sealants are painless, quick, and long-lasting.
- There is no “down-side” in getting dental sealants.
Who should get dental sealants?
- Children and teenagers are prime candidates for dental sealants.
- Anyone with deep grooves in their molars can benefit from sealants.
- Your family dentist can tell you if sealants would be helpful for you.
At Distinctive Dentistry, the patient is an important member of the dental treatment team. Our office is located in Fife, WA, with easy access from the freeway and plenty of free parking. We serve patients throughout the greater Tacoma area, including Puyallap, Federal Way and Gig Harbor although we have patients who travel to us even from out of state. Dr. Phillips is a highly trained prosthodontist who has over 25 years of experience in general family dentistry, dental implants and cosmetic dentistry.
We have been applying dental sealants to our patients for more than two decades.