(Part 2 of 3)
Cosmetic Dentistry is popular among patients of all ages
Cosmetic Dentistry is not just for movie stars. Your family dentist routinely performs procedures on mature patients that create a more youthful appearance. This can improve confidence and self-esteem. Cosmetic dentistry issues that your family dentist commonly addresses include:
- Whitening stained teeth
- Repairing damaged teeth
Sometimes the procedures aging patients undergo require the advanced, specialized training of a prosthodontist. These more advanced procedures include:
- Dental implants — attaching prosthetic teeth to the bone tissue in the jaw or mouth
- Crowns and Caps — attaching customized “covers” when there is minimal tooth structure due to tooth decay
- Veneers — thin porcelain covers which are used when a patient would like to improve the shape and color of their teeth
- Maxillofacial prosthetics — replacing bone or tissue that is missing or damaged
- Occlusal Splints — bite guards
- Creating Dentures, Bridges/“partials’
- Re-lining Dentures
- Relief for problematic chewing — due to TMJ (Temporomandibular joint) issues
Your teeth can shift as you age, which means that even if you had braces as a kid, you might still need to have braces again as you reach middle age and beyond, to re-straighten teeth or to shift them for cosmetic purposes. For example, adjusting your smile by “widening” the tooth line can tighten up slack skin around your mouth — and have the effect of a mini-face lift, without invasive surgery!
At Distinctive Dentistry, we recognize that you are an important member of the dental treatment team. Our office is conveniently located in Fife, WA, with easy access from the freeway and plenty of free parking. We serve patients throughout the greater Tacoma area, including those who live in Puyallup, Federal Way and Gig Harbor. Dr. Keith Phillips is a highly trained prosthodontist who has over 25 years’ experience in general family dentistry, dental implants, sedation dentistry and cosmetic dentistry.