A Highly Effective Cavity Prevention Method
What Are Dental Sealants?
Sealants are a simple, successful and cost-effective measure that your dentist can take to prevent cavities from forming in your teeth. They consist of a thin plastic film that your family dentist paints on the chewing surface of the teeth, particularly on the molars. As the sealant solution dries, it hardens and bonds to the surface of the tooth. This acts as a barrier for bacteria and food particles in the narrow crevices and pits in the chewing surfaces of the teeth, as these areas are where cavities are most likely to form.
Why Get Dental Sealants?
- They are safe, minimally invasive, and effective at preventing cavities
- They are more cost effective than having to fill cavities, do root canals, or nearly any other dental procedure
- They are painless, quick, and long-lasting
- There is no “downside” in getting dental sealants
Who Should Get Dental Sealants?
- Children and teenagers are prime candidates for dental sealants
- Anyone with deep grooves in their molars can benefit from sealants
- Your family dentist can tell you if sealants would be helpful for you