October is Dental Hygiene Month. This is a perfect time to call your family dentist to schedule an appointment for routine cleaning and preventative maintenance of your oral health.
Why is this important?
- Regular dental hygiene can prevent most dental disease.
- Early detection and intervention when there is a problem means it is easier to fix any issue.
- Your dental health affects your overall health.
- Factors in the mouth can be early indicators of conditions such as heart disease or dementia. If caught early, these diseases can be treated more effectively.
What is good oral hygiene?
- Brushing your teeth for two minutes, gently, twice a day.
- Brushing your tongue.
- Rinsing your toothbrush after each use.
- Replacing your toothbrush every three to four months.
- Storing your toothbrush upright, in the open air rather than in a closed container.
- Flossing at least once a day.
- Avoiding snacks of sugary food and crackers that stick to the crevices of the teeth, creating bacteria in the mouth.
- Drinking lots of water.
- Scheduling routine cleanings every six months.
Why do you need specialized cleaning from the dentist even if you practice good dental hygiene?
- Plaque and tarter that ‘stick’ to the teeth require special instruments at times to remove the build up that can occur even with regular tooth brushing.
- Removal of this build up prevents chronic activation of the immune system, which can wear the immune system down.
The staff at Distinctive Dentistry uses state of the art equipment to ensure you have the best dental hygiene options available. Dr. Keith Phillips has over 25 years of expertise and frequently trains other dentists in advanced dental techniques and procedures.
Our office is located just off the freeway in Fife, WA. We serve patients in the greater Tacoma area including Gig Harbor, Federal Way and Puyallup, WA. We offer the finest dental care available in cosmetic dentistry, family dentistry, sedation dentistry and Prosthodontics.