What is a Laser?
A laser is a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light or electromagnetic energy onto a specific focal point. Lasers are used in precision drilling, cutting, alignment and guidance.
When would my family dentist use a laser in a dental treatment?
When this intensely focused energy stream is directed at tissue, it can alter the shape of, or even remove the tissue altogether. This is a fast and efficient modality that can accomplish a number of procedures with outstanding precision.
Some of the ways lasers are used in oral treatments include:
- The removal of tissues around embedded wisdom teeth
- The removal of tissues that may limit full range of movement of the jaw
- To make tiny adjustments in gums and bones when creating or modifying crowns
- To perform a biopsy
- To remove inflamed gum tissues that have been compromised by periodontal disease
- To remove infected tissues during a root canal
- To cauterize sores inside the mouth
- To remove stains in some teeth during whitening treatments.
Lasers can also eliminate the need for anesthesia in some procedures and speed up healing time.
Keith Phillips has over 25 years of expertise in specialized dental practice, including cosmetic dentistry, family dentistry, sedation dentistry and he is the only Board Certified Prosthodontist in Tacoma. He is certified in Laser technology.
Dr. Phillips is an Affiliate Associate Professor at the University of Washington, University of Pennsylvania, University of Southern California, and Tufts University. He lectures nationally and internationally, has extensive textbook and professional journal publications, and is a former Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Dental Association.
We serve patients in the greater Tacoma area including Gig Harbor, Federal Way and Puyallup, WA. Our office is located at 5615 Valley Ave. E., Tacoma, WA 98424 — just off the freeway.