When heading to college for the first time, teenagers- now officially adults – often need to be reminded about the importance of their oral health. They are fully independent and living on their own for the first time, and many can develop bad habits or simply forget now that their parents are not there to remind them about oral hygiene.
As a Registered Dental Hygienist at Distinctive Dentistry in Tacoma, here are a few important reminders to help college students remain healthy!
- Tobacco can increase your risk of tooth decay, dry mouth, oral cancer, and gum disease. Avoid tobacco products and head to the gym for a stress release!
- Sugary drinks, energy drinks, specialty coffees and sports beverages contribute to tooth wear and sleep disorders. Drink water instead – a cheaper and healthier option!
- Increased alcohol and tobacco use, poor diet and lack of sleep can have a negative impact on not only oral health, but overall health.
Check out these free or low-cost apps that can help with oral and general health:
- “Stop Smoking Cigarettes Now” is an app aimed to help smoking cessation based on individual goals. It helps users track cravings while giving motivation.
- “My Fitness Pal” tracks food/calorie intake as well as overall activity level.
- “Brush DJ” uses playlists and visual displays to make brushing your teeth fun; it also reminds you to brush and floss each day as well as when to change your toothbrush.
- “Sleep Cycle” tracks and monitors sleep patterns; the alarm can be set to wake the user during their lightest sleep cycle. The app also encourages a proper sleep schedule and how to maintain it.
Here at Distinctive Dentistry, we are a general dental practice with patients of all ages – children – adults. We want to provide our patients with the education and up-to-date technology to help you maintain their best health – especially those young adults who are at college and away from home for the first time! Be sure to contact our office if you have any additional questions about healthy habits!